Hello, my name is Barbara and I am A SPECIALIST ZEN SHIATSU THERAPIST based in Bondi Junction, the heart of Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs. My treatments are profoundly relaxing and nurturing and will make you feel better in your body, mind & spirit. Detailed diagnosis provides a framework for your treatment addressing your issues – acute, chronic & systemic. Follow up is provided to support you in taking charge of your health and wellbeing.
My CORE BELIEF, as a client-focused therapist, is that Shiatsu brings depth and stability to your personal health and well-being. My PRIMARY AIM is to help people feel better in themselves and function better in their lives. BEYOND THIS, my goal is to empower my clients to take charge of their own well-being so that they may enjoy greater health and vitality.
I have a strong Yoga BACKGROUND and, in my past life (in the world of dance and theatre), worked extensively with creative visualisation & Feldenkrais-based techniques for body release & awareness. I offer HOLISTIC CLIENT CARE incorporating all of these elements as well as simple dietary suggestions: tools to help you help yourself and experience long lasting, sustainable change.
Since my initial training as a Zen Shiatsu therapist, I have pursued ongoing, wide ranging PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT – expanding and refining my practice in order to offer my clients more. For the last three years, this has focused on a series of extended master classes, multi-module courses & subject specific webinars with Clifford Andrews in Advanced Zen Shiatsu Energy Work.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & OTHER DATA:
* A fully accredited, insured professional therapist with some 15 years’ experience in both private and interdisciplinary medical practice (AMS Redfern)
* Public Liability Insurance with Arthur J. Gallagher & C0 (Aus.) Ltd.
* Diploma of Zen Shiatsu Therapy (Incl. courses in (1) Food as Medicine: whole foods & macrobiotics, as well as (2) KI Yoga: meridian support & imbalance correction)
* Current 1st Aid certification (CPR, Life Support and hygiene protocols).
* Full member of the Shiatsu Therapy Association of Australia (STAA), the peak body for Shiatsu in Australia
* A member of the STAA National Council (2013-14 incl.)
* Co-Author, STAA submission to the 2014 Federal Government Natural Therapies Review investigating the safety and effectiveness of natural therapies
* Extended Master Classes with a range of senior Shiatsu teachers including world renowned Sensei Wataru Ohashi & Sensei Yuji Yahiro
* Over 25 years’ involvement in the Sydney Shiatsu Community & administers a dedicated Facebook Group facilitating dialogue, exchange and workshopping for local professionals
* Taught Zen Shiatsu & supervised student clinic at the NSW School of Massage and the Zen Renaissance Healing Centre & College (2007 – 2014)
* Yoga practice stretches back 30 years and includes Hatha (Ashtanga Vinyasa & Iyengar) in addition to Ryoho, Ki and Oki Do styles of Japanese Yoga
* Feldenkreis-based “Body Preparation”, “Movement” & “Teaching Technique” (Programs: I, II, III, & IV) with Monika Pagneux (Paris)
* BA (Hons. Class I), MA (Hons.)